Michael Fakhri is an Associate Professor at the Faculty of Law where he teaches courses on food law, international law, and commercial law. He was appointed in May by the UN Human Rights Council to be the Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food. He graciously agreed to answer a few questions about his work and involvement with the Food Studies program for our inaugural Feature People profile.

Food Studies: What is the subject of your current research?
Michael Fakhri: It’s about the right to food as a social power and as part of the broader political economy.

FS: What past research have you completed related to Food Studies?
MF: I started off focusing on international trade, specifically trade and agriculture. From trade, I realized my bigger interest was about food and agriculture, so I shifted to not just focusing on trade, but all aspects of how law structures our food system.

FS: Why do you value the UO Food Studies program?
MF: We are a rare Food Studies program that has so many different disciplines involved. We have all sorts of people from the social sciences, professional schools, humanities folk, and we have science folk, and that’s such a rare thing. And then you add two key elements, which are also rare in a Food Studies program. We have our urban farm, which is one of the oldest urban farms set in a university. And we have the Law School. Law schools rarely intersect with Food Studies, so I think we have something really exceptional here at UO

FS: What is your favorite type of food?
MF: A good meal is something that connects me with the people that I love and care about, so my favorite food is the food that brings me closer to people. It could be, I’m missing home or my parents, and when I’m wanting a specific recipe, I’ve created a reason to call my mom. Or I decide to cook something, and I need to go to a particular store, and it’s really about going to that store because I like the store and the people there, or maybe a farmer’s market on Saturday. I’m omnivorous, and I love eating all sorts of things. The nice things about Food Studies—we don’t forget that pleasure is such as nn important part of our day.

FS: Is there anything else you would like to tell the Food Studies community about yourself or you work in Food Studies?
MF: Our Food Studies program not only is part of the university, but it also reflects Lane County, and it reflects our broader commitment to a global community. And that’s why I find Food Studies is home for me.

Be sure to watch Michael’s Food Talk “The Right to Food” on the UO Food Studies YouTube channel to learn more about his work as the UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food and how his role with the UN connects to his research and teaching at UO.